A most interesting article in BMJ (British Medical journal) …..
BMJ 2000;320:768-770 ( 18 March )
Education and debate
Human error: models and management by James Reason, professor of psychology. Department of Psychology, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL
“The human error problem can be viewed in two ways: the person approach and the system approach. Each has its model of error causation and each model gives rise to quite different philosophies of error management. Understanding these differences has important practical implications for coping with the ever present risk of mishaps in clinical practice.”
Two approaches to the problem of human fallibility exist: the person and the system approaches
The person approach focuses on the errors of individuals, blaming them for forgetfulness, inattention, or moral weakness
The system approach
The author comes to the conclusion “High reliability organisations are the prime examples of the system approach. They anticipate the worst and equip themselves to deal with it at all levels of the organisation. …..”
Related posts on Bricoleur Systems -auto generated:
- Forecasting human behaviour carries big risks Computerised forecasting techniques are certainly useful for stores, but flawed when it comes to complex human issues….. Christine Evans-Pughe The...
- Cybernetics of Human Computer Interaction Cybernetics of Human Computer Interaction The Cybernetics of HCI: A Pragmatic Approach This video clip (approx 1 1/2 hours) gives...
- A prime piece of evidence linking human activity to climate change turns out to be an artifact of poor mathematics. A reading of a pair of articles from Technology Review.com is instructive about how “received doctrine” can become established fact…and...
- CmapTools from the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition The IHMC CmapTools software empowers uses to construct, navigate, share and criticize knowledge models represented as Concept Maps...
- Human-Computer Interaction and Interaction Design Paul Pangaro on HCI and Interaction Design Human-Computer Interaction and Interaction Design This page provides pointers into content on...